[AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads
From: ve3bbh@interlog.com (Paul Hicks, VE3BBH / VE3ZT)
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 21:03:40 -0500
>It would seem that
>one would have to get the oil circulating around the resistor better to
>justify a larger reservoir.  My guess is the can surface will NOT be any
>warmer.

Right on, the sides of the Cantenna stay nice and cool. I was the first ham
on the block back in the 70s to get a Craptenna, real pretty, it matched
the Drake Line. Mooched some transformer oil from the spend thrifts at
Ontario Hydro, hooked up the 3K to the paint can, cranked the sucker up,
stood back and said to myself, "what a wonderful thing." Next thing I
remember is hearing a boiling sound emanating from within, and watching the
oil spurt out the vent all over the floor. Be sure to put the paint can
into a larger paint can, and don't stand too close....

73, Paul.