[AMPS] Re: Tuned inputs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Tuned inputs
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:55:17 -0500

On Tue, 09 Feb 1999 16:36:20 +0000 "Jim Thomson" <jim_thomson@bctel.com>
writes:
>Carl,Phil.  What's the story with running 12" of 58u from tuned input
>a tube socket? Notice my L4B uses a single wide strap from switch to
>socket. If what frank,W3LPL sez,is true,then orr/hoff/arrl should all
>be
>strung up!! That could well explain the big differences in drive
>requirements. Tnx.......Jim VE7RQ

Frank is 100% correct. Rich and I have said the same since the beginning
of this reflector. Notice how many times I have suggested a relay
switched input network right at the tube socket.
However with both input and output C variable along with some L
adjustment inherent in toroids Amp Supply had very decent performance
from their amps with about 12" of RG-58.

I mount the input network for my SB-220 6M conversions right at the
socket and can usually wind up with more power than the stock amp on 20M
and above.

OTOH dont blame Orr and Hoff for what they suggested when the USA still
had a 1000W DC CW input limit and drive from many exciters was 140W +.

The ARRL is another story.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]