[AMPS] ripple current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ripple current
From: wlfuqu00@pop.uky.edu (William L. Fuqua III)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:49:37 -0500 (EST)
   My catalog has a "Allowable ripple current vs. Ambient temperature" chart
for the
GQ series cap.

Temperature    +45      +60      +70      +85     +105
Coeffecient   2.47     2.37      2.17     1.67     1.00

So at 85 degrees the maximum allowable ripple current for the GQ would
1.67*1.19= 1.99A. That is more than that of the LQ or LK at 85 degrees.
So  these caps must not be so bad after all for  only 2.25 each.
I did not realize how much discussion my first post would start. HI HI
HI HI  This is a 94 catalog.
  I'm not saying a 105 degree cap is always better than 85 degree one.
But in this case it is.

   What is the actual RMS ripple current? According to a book I have it
is 1.41 of dc output for a capacitive input filter, fullwave rectifier
with an rectifier effeciency of 100 percent.
   For a 1 amp plate current power supply the cheap ALL Electronics
capacitors should work just fine especially at 85 degrees c.

73
Bill wa4lav

  William L. Fuqua III  P.E.  E-mail WLFUQU00@POP.UKY.EDU  Phone (606) 257-4155
  Department of Physics and Astronomy      CP-177 Chem. Phys. Bldg.
  University of Kentucky ,                 Lexington, Ky 40506-0055