[AMPS] Ripple Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ripple Current
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:37:05 -0000
Assuming the doubler is the 'full wave' one (i.e. two caps in series shunted
across two diodes in series, with the ac between the junction of the caps
and the junction of the diodes) each cap gets a charge every other half
cycle. In the intervening half cycles, it gets a discharge. So the ripple
current in the capacitor is the same frequency as the supply. The heating
effect (which I guess is the bottom line) is then the rms equivalent of the
charge current plus the rms equivalent of the discharge current, all
squared, times the ESR at the line frequency.

I'd guess that the ripple current rating should be much the same at 50 as at
100Hz (or 60 and 120)

73

Peter G3RZP