[AMPS] Ripple Current etc in FWD circuits

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ripple Current etc in FWD circuits
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil T. (VE3OZZ))
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:52:02

In message <19990309.153130.-7749.163.km1h@juno.com>, km1h@juno.com
writes

>Maybe I missed something during the recent discussion.
>
>In the common voltage doubler PS as used in many amps, is not each
>capacitor subjected to 50/60 Hz rather than 100/120Hz as in a FWB ?
>If that is true, what effect does that have on all the cap ratings which
>are specified at 120Hz?
>
>Ive tried calling CDE for an answer but the product mgrs must all be out
>playing golf down in SC.
>
>73  Carl  KM1H

>I seem to remember Tom Rauch commenting about extra capacitor stress in a
>FW doubler compared to a FWB. Also remember a rather heated discussion
>amongst the engrs at National that resulted in them ordering special HD
>rated caps for the NCL-2000.
>
>Oh well.
>
>73  Carl  KM1H

Carl, it appears that you're absolutely correct about this. The caps in
this circuit do charge at 60 Hz, but the overall ripple current is still
120 Hz.

 I got curious about the comment on extra cap stress in the FWD circuit so
I E-mailed Tom (W8JI) and got a pretty good explanation (see below).
Further, I spoke to Keith Billings who is author of McGraw-Hill's
Switchmode Power Supply Handbook (Keith lives not far from here and was
employed by Hammond for many years). Keith concurs 100% with Tom's
explanation of capacitor operation in a FWD compared to a FWB.

Keith went on a little further about the benefits to transformer
requirements that arise from using the FWD circuit.  He also mentioned that
electrolytics have improved so much during the past 10years that 2 or 3
amps ripple current is "peanuts" for modern capacitors (provided they're
properly spec'd to begin with). AT power-line frequency, the frequency of
the ripple (whether 60 or 120 Hz) is a non-issue.

Thought you'd want to know.

Phil