[AMPS] HV on tube w/o filament voltage

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV on tube w/o filament voltage
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:38:32 +0008

Jon wrote...

> Got a question:  How hard is it on a tube to have the HV applied to the
> plate w/o the filaments turned on.

It shouldn't hurt the tube(s) at all.  This has historically been a
way to have a separate amp on every band.  The HV doesn't need to
be switched: you just light the filaments of the band you want to
be on!

>The reason I ask is that unknown to
> me, a relay must have stuck in my power supply control unit and when I
> turned my amp off, the voltage to the HV transformer was never turned
> off.  So I thought the amp had been completely shut down and it wasn't.
> I discovered this just prior to the contest on Friday when I went to turn
> everything on and noticed the HV supply cabinet was very warm.  Then I
> noticed the HV meter still read 6KV!  It was like this for several days.

While the tubes may not be harmed, this sounds like a
potentially harmful condition for the humans who may be around!  Fix
it somehow, so that when you turn it off, it's OFF!

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT