[AMPS] Cathode-driven questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cathode-driven questions
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 08:47:42 -0700

>In planning my 2 x 3-500z gg amp, I've been looking at schematics of similar
>units, and there are a couple of questions that have arisen:
>
>1) Some of them do not ground the grids directly, but do so thru a bypassed
>choke or resistor.  Why?

?  My guess is that the idea was to increase the grounded grid-resonance
(by cancelling some ot the internal L) in order to increase vhf
stability.  In practice, it increases the resonance, but only slightly.
.  .  Some say adding C was done to lower IMD, however, since a stock
3-500Z is already far cleaner than the best transceiver, this doesn't
make sense to me.

>2) Some of them use the usual pi-network input circuit, but others have
>just a parallel-tuned circuit (the Bill Orr handbook, for example).

?  A parallel-tuned circuit is undoubtedly Not a substitute for a
pi-network.  .It is my opinion that an amp-guy worth his salt knows the
reasons why.
-  In 1990, Bill Orr wrote a letter to QST complaining that a QST article
contained 'numerous technical errors'  without giving any references.
QST-staffer Dave Newkirk said Orr's letter was evaluated as a "zero"
because he failed to give any example of an alleged technical error..

> I know that the input impedance of the pair of tubes is quite close to 50
ohms, so the
>impedance matching function of the pi is not needed, so I guess the circuit
is used
>just to provide a 'flywheel' and a return path for the RF plate current. But
>wouldn't a parallel-tuned circuit have a relatively very high impedance
compared to
>the load provided by the tubes?  How does this work?

?  somewhat unwell

>I had a good time yesterday at the DX convention, looking at the innards
>of the Alpha and Henry amps.  Nice work.

?  Nice looks are not necessarily wonderful in the long haul.  This
applies pretty much equally to cars, amplifiers and women.

-  cheers, Vic

Rich...