[AMPS] 4X1 tuned input

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4X1 tuned input
From: N3XBU@aol.com (N3XBU@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 16:28:22 EDT
Hi Guys,

In simple terms, can someone send me directions on how to make a tuned input
for my amp?

Right now it uses a B&W 850/160 bandswitch which is used with C1, C2,
Jennings vacuum variables for 80-10 meters with a single 4-1000A. No tuned
input, so SWR is relatively high (3:1 maybe?) on the input side. No big deal
as the tuner in the radio can handle it, however; I understand that tuned
input is the way to go and I want to make this the best amp I can. Jon has
given me some direction so far and I am seeking still more input.

I get about 4400-4600V on the plate under load, depending on line sag. I can
only get about 280 ma of plate current, though. Grid current can be up to 100
ma depending on drive. Filament V is 7.5 under load. The xfrmr is a 3500V@1
A, Peter Dahl with a voltage doubler: 2 oil filled caps in parallel.

I may have a soft tube. I have a spare, also possibly soft, that acts the
same way. I understand this amp will really scream if I get it right...

Any one wanting a mini-vacation in Pittsburgh (!?) who is able to help, is
welcome to come for a look any time. All the steak you can eat, and all the
beer you can drink, on me.

Thanks for your help!

Brian K3VR