[AMPS] Need to pick your brain...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Need to pick your brain...
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:13:18 +0100
Rich says:

        >The fly in the ointment is that solid-state radios use bandpass
filters >which introduce  various reactances at the output.   Thus, there
may be >bands where XC1 will need to have a reactance of other than 25 ohms.

Rich is making a very good point here. Although we shouldn't forget that
even amps with tuned inputs (eg 30L1) had a specified length of coax to
connect them to the driver, the idea being that the amps pi input and the
drivers pi output and the coax added up to specific number of degrees on
each band. Some solid state exciters will also go unstable with certain load
impedances eg 50 ohms in the band you're operating in, and high SWR on
another band.
And just because the optimum load impedance is 50 ohms, it doesn't mean that
the source impedance (ie the internal impedance of the driver) is 50  ohms.

73

Peter G3RZP