[AMPS] Arcing in air vs. arcing in a vacuum

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Arcing in air vs. arcing in a vacuum
From: mgilmer@gnlp.com (Gilmer, Mike)
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:21:29 -0400
<snip>
So he has made the conclusion that if the breakdown potential of thin
air is less than regular air, the breakdown potential of a vacuum is
less still. I don't know if this jump can be made.

Hi Jon -

If my limited memory is working you are correct in doubting if you can
make that "jump".  Sorta sounds like the old non-sequitur: If a little
oil is good for your engine, then a lot of oil must be better.  :o)

The worst problems with corona/arc etc., occur at very high altitudes
(~100K feet) and gets better below and above.  In high pressure (thick)
air, and in zero-pressure (no molecules -  vacuum) the problem
diminishes.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

73
Mike N2MG