[AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 02:16:33 -0700

>> All,
>> ?  the manufacturer. of 61 material rates it at 10MHz.  At 14MHz, I can
>> see waveform distortion on an oscilloscope.
>> Rich..."
>
>Rich "sees" many things no one else ever "sees" with their test
>equipment.

?   In the test I performed with type-61 material operating at 14MHz, the
slope of the waveform was noticably different from that of a sinewave --
esp. between 60-degrees to  80-degrees and 100-degrees to 130-degrees.
.  My guess is that the distortion was >15%.

>> Quoting from Amidon flyer: "Material 61  (u=125)  ..............Moderate
>> temperature stability and high 'Q' for frequencies 0.2mHz to 15mHz.

?  Permag Pacific rates their u=125 material at 10MHz max. in tuned
circuit apps.  .

>> Also commonly used for wideband transformers up to 200mHz."
>
>Quoting from Fair-rite Corp, an actual manufacturer of soft iron
>materials, 61 material is suitable in broadband transformers and
>EMI/RFI suppression devices up to 200 MHz, and tuned
>applications up to 10 MHz. Q at ten MHz is 80.

? The cathode of a g-g amplifier is akin to a tuned circuit.

>61 Material is very common in broadband low distortion VHF
>amplifiers, I used it in transformer designs for CATV and MATV
>amplifiers...and multichannel video RF applications require very low
>IM distortion.
>
>> I would consider a filament choke to be in the latter category and if its
>> inductive reactance is the correct value, its impedance should be far
>> greater than that of the cathode and therefore not affect the waveshape a
>> significant amount.
>
>It wouldn't add appreciable harmonics anyway, unless core flux
>density was high and frequency was low.

>Upper frequency limit of
>core material is set by eddy currents caused by the material having
>large areas on non-insulated iron. At some frequency, the
>permeability simply drops off and loss tangent slopes upwards.
>
>That effect has NOTHING to do with waveshape distortion.

?  Harmonic distortion has everything to do with sine waveshape
distortion.

-  Cheers, Tom & Roy.  .

Rich...