[AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:55:43 -0400
Subject:                Re: [AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp
Date sent:              Thu, 27 May 1999 13:35:20 -0700
From:                   Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
To:                     <W8JI@contesting.com>, "Amps Reflector"
<amps@contesting.com>

> hello, Tom
> >
> >While I agree an air core alone is sufficient to make a reasonable
> >filament choke on 50 MHz, Rich has a total misunderstanding of
> >what creates "distortion" that we can hear in a linear PA.
> >
> It was not a SSB signal.  It was an AØ signal of 100w.  The type-61
> material performed well at 10MHz.  The waveform looked good.  I slowly
> increased freq.  At 14MHz, the waveform did not look good. .   However,
> with a ferrite material rated for 50MHz max. instead of 10MHz max., no
> distortion was observed at 14MHz.

Distortion on the slope of a sinewave has nothing at all to do with
undesired IMD, assuming your observations are true (which I do not
believe they were).

The correct test for non-linearity and intermodulation distortion is to
measure envelope distortion on a modulated signal.

You "observed" nothing that means anything for IMD.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com