[AMPS] Bias for SB-220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bias for SB-220
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:54:04 -0400
First, RF bias switching does not cause problems when properly
implemented. So that is a non-issue.

Second, while Rich focuses on the electronic bias with  empirical
conclusions many rigs have horrid leading edge distortion.

I owned a 775 DSP for a day, and was amazed to see it produced
over 350 watts peak power on leading edges even when the power
control was backed down to 70 watts. My IC-706 does the same
thing, but at a reduced power of only 150 watts on the overshoot.

The key to successful auto-bias is NOT pulling the tubes up into
cutoff, but letting them rest at low dissipation on the class AB side
of B.

The second key is a bias switch that actuates at milliwatt power
levels, and that has a response time many times faster than the
rate of the fastest envelope rise time permitted.

That rate is controlled by the SSB filter in the rig, not by "human
speech" going into the microphone. The SSB filter bandwidth sets
the rise time.

Just like ferrite cores, this isn't a big engineering problem if you
really understand how things work.