[AMPS] Rig IMD (wass: Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Rig IMD (wass: Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp)
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 99 15:52:44 -0500
Hi Tom,

>The fact of the matter, however, is I actually measured the internal
>performance stage by stage in my FT-1000.

I misunderstood your first post on it.  Upon reading your second post
(after mine), I realized you were talking problems specific to the
FT-1000 not problems in general.

By the way, which model?  Plain, D, or MP?

> Finally, my point got lost in reflector IMD. I never said mixers in
>theory were non-problems. My point was simply that mixers (or
>other cycle by cycle non-linear devices) are not always the weak
>link nor do they often set the IMD limits in our equipment. There
>are countless examples where they are not problems, especially in
>amateur equipment.

OK, I think we agree!

By the way, I know that Yaesu has some IM fixes that were implemented
into the original FT1000/FT1000D radios.  I know this for a fact cause
when I bought mine used last summer, I sent it in to Yaesu to have these
upgrades performed (which they did for free).  I am tremendously
impressed with the quality of the receiver in my FT-1000D and I fail to
see what people complain about.  Maybe it's because I haven't heard a
"better" RX.  I did upgrade from an FT-840 which would have IM generated
when someone sneezed on a frequency several KCs away.  So perhaps I don't
have a lot to compare to.  But from what I can tell, it sure works well.

>>  It doesn't.  And also if mixers can't be over-driven easily (as Tom
>> suggests) then why do they include additional fron end attenuation levels
>> on rigs like the FT-1000D?

>The fact the receiver has an attenuator that replaces the preamp
>means nothing, except what we assume it to mean in our own
>minds. None of use were privy to the decision why an attenuator
>was included, and it certainly would or could reduce overload of any
>stage from the preamp to the audio output, be there for
>convenience, marketing, or any other reason or reasons. It could
>be there simply because Kenwood has one. We have no idea.

Agreed, we end up guessing as to the real reason, but suffice to say that
it helps a lot, particularly in strong signal environments.  In contests
while trying to copy a station and getting killed, by some other strong
ones, I've been able to crank up the attenuation.  The overload stops and
while the station's signal isn't as big on the S-meter, I can hear them a
lot better w/o all the other craps.  So my belief is that there is a
legitimate and useful purpose to the attenuator.

Interested in feedback on which FT1000 you have and any comments on
Yaesu's mods.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na