[AMPS] radios/imd/intercept points

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] radios/imd/intercept points
From: montytaylor@texoma.net (Monty Taylor)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:45:32 -0500
I have read every message that has been posted on this reflector for the
last two years.  I have replied once I think.  I just have to say one thing
about the R-390.  When I was in the Navy, I was a Radioman, stationed at
Ship to Shore locations around the world, 80% of the time at a Naval Radio
Station, sitting in front of any radio that I, or any of my fellow radioman,
wanted to use during that watch.  We had many choices of each type at each
location, as only receivers and receiving antennas were available, choices
of R-390's, SP-600's, 51S1's, some TMC (no Drake's) and others that I cannot
think of at this time.  When it came to CW only, in bad propagation times,
interference from  four or five other ships on the same frequency, and the
selective capability, the BEST of the BEST, was an AN/SRR-13 made by RCA, I
think.  It used a projection frequency display, subminiature tubes, silver
plated modularized components, and was the most stable receiver I ever
encounter during that period.

On the R-390.  It was best used by us to check a frequency generally for
RATT, MUX, SSB traffic ( in conjunction with an AN/CV-591???),  and trying
to pickup Stateside AM Radio Stations!  Generally it was terrible as a CW
receiver.  On SSB is was better than the SP-600's, and about equal with the
51S1.  The 51S1 saw more use as it was easier to QSY with. The SP-600's were
only used for RTTY with Two SP-600's and a diversity setup using two
AN/URA-8's with a comparator.

I had an SRR-13about 15 years ago, a tube went soft and could not get a
replacement.  Dumped it.  If only the internet was a reality then, maybe I
would still have it in use as my only receiver.  I now use a Drake R4B with
an external DSP.

Any others out there have the same experiences, if so, let us all know.

Regards,
Monty/WB5GLB