[AMPS] Purpose of components on SB-1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Purpose of components on SB-1000
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:11:20 -0700

>Rich Measures wrote:
>
>> It seems a bit curious that a separate meter is devoted to grid-current
>> since the amount of grid-current plays no part in tuneup.  A filament
>> voltmeter (and rheostat adj.) would have been way more useful than a
>> grid-current meter.
>
>Actually I find the grid current meter very useful as an indication of the
>degree of loading.

?  However, there is no value of grid-current that tells the operator
when the loading is right.    When the tune and load are set for max.
power out with full drive (65w), the loading is right and the
grid-current is light.  Thus, the only indicator one needs for doing a
proper tuneup is a relative RF output meter.

> It's also quite easy to cause excessive grid current
>to flow with a 100w exciter,

?  Unless c. 25-ohms of RF NFB resistance is added, 100w is way too much.

> and it's a good warning device.
>
>I don't know about Lane's filament voltage, but I measured it in my
>SB-1000 and it just about exactly 5.0v.

?  Rumour has it that there was more than one transformer supplier.

-  thanks, Vic

Rich...