[AMPS] Finally - a real amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Finally - a real amp
From: Doug Person" <w4dxv@ibm.net (Doug Person)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:56:08 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00DD_01BEB3E8.3F3253C0

I have at long last obtained my first serious amplifier.  It is an =
Ameritron AL-80A which I find vastly more desirable than the current =
AL-80B.  The later being housed in the thin (cheap) and easily warped =
aluminum not unlike the usual stuff of which most MFJ products are =
encased.  The AL-80A is a product of the original company owned by Prime =
Instruments.  It is of all steel construction, loads up smoothly, works =
well on the WARC bands and seems to still have the original Eimac tube.

I will accept everyone's congratulations in advance to save time and get =
to my questions which are essentially, in a nutshell, what are the best =
operating parameters to observe when running the classic single 3-500Z =
amp?  The manual indicates the following:

1. Max drive of 100 Watts
2. Max plate current of 550 ma
3. Max grid current of 200 ma
4. Max power out of 1000 watts

It seems to me I recall some discussion about these values, but don't =
recall the conclusion.  I would appreciate any advice regarding proper =
operation of 3-500Z amplifiers.

thanks, Doug -- W4DXV

------=_NextPart_000_00DD_01BEB3E8.3F3253C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have at long last obtained my first serious =
amplifier.&nbsp;=20
It is an Ameritron AL-80A which I find vastly more desirable than the =
current=20
AL-80B.&nbsp; The later being housed in the thin (cheap) and easily =
warped=20
aluminum not unlike the usual stuff of which most MFJ products are=20
encased.&nbsp; The AL-80A is a product of the original company owned by =
Prime=20
Instruments.&nbsp; It is of all steel construction, loads up smoothly, =
works=20
well on the WARC bands and seems to still have the original Eimac=20
tube.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I will accept everyone's congratulations in advance =
to save=20
time and get to my questions which are essentially, in a nutshell, what =
are the=20
best operating parameters to observe when running the classic single =
3-500Z=20
amp?&nbsp; The manual indicates the following:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>1. Max drive of 100 Watts</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>2. Max plate current of 550 ma</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3. Max grid current of 200 ma</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>4. Max power out of 1000 watts</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It seems to me I recall some discussion about these =
values,=20
but don't recall the conclusion.&nbsp; I would appreciate any advice =
regarding=20
proper operation of 3-500Z amplifiers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>thanks, Doug -- =
W4DXV</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00DD_01BEB3E8.3F3253C0--