[AMPS] Power Output (was 4cx10000)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Power Output (was 4cx10000)
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 10:54:53 -0700
Dick Green wrote:

> .91dB may only buy a few S-units, but that can make a huge difference when
> copying weak signals or when the band is noisy. Most people seem to do their
> on-air tests when signals are relatively strong and the differences are
> harder to detect. I think it would be more revealing to do these tests with
> the very weak, almost "ESP" signals that are common in contests and DXing.

I'm a CW DXer and I agree 100%.  Every fraction of a db adds up, especially when
it comes from the antenna, but also when it's transmit-only.  My new amp will
run 1500 watts out, compared to 700-800 from my SB1000, and I am confident that
it will make a BIG difference in pileups and under poor conditions.  It doesn't
hurt to reduce loss in coax, tuners, etc. either, even if each individual
improvement is only a fraction of a DB.

For what it's worth (not much these days, I guess), I will be careful to keep it
to 1500 watts or less.  If everything is possible, nothing is worthwhile.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA