R: R: [AMPS] L-Pi net...downside?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: R: R: [AMPS] L-Pi net...downside?
From: Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:54:22 +0200
I'm very sorry but I don't  undestand what's the relation between Ian's mail
and my previous mail attached at the bottom.
Wasn't my mail clear enough ?
Component Q is one story and used PI network Q totally another one.
The PI Q can be selected but only among the real possible solutions of
the network, not just.
In the HF range if  a Q of 10 is applicable, the coil (air or vacuum
capacitors are supposed to have big Q) requirements for such PI are
not so difficult to obtain.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

P.S.  Something about the marginal topic of PI resonances....

          A PI network can be seen as two back to back L networks matching
          a common intermediate impedance between them.
          The gap of the L network is that given the loads, only a solution
          exists, thus the Q can't be selected but comes out just (Q is
          equal to the square root of (Rp/Rs)-1).
          L and PI matching networks are low (or high) pass filters and
          follow the rules of this kind of 2nd and 3rd order filters.
          L network has (one) small resonance (unless the Q is very high) at
          the point where the 2 components reactances are the same, in
          absolute value.
          Stated that's mostly useless to find it out, PI resonances can be
          calculated in the same way dividing it into the 2 joined L
          networks, as previously described above.