[AMPS] Pi-Net math

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Pi-Net math
From: Uwe.Egen@t-online.de (Uwe Egen)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 17:24:38 +0200
Gentlemen,
Eimac`s formula forgets the smaller amount of capacity of two, C1 and C2
in series.

A loaded Q of a parallel circuit follows Rp/XL whereby Rp is the
parallel resistor (load) and XL/Rs if Rs is the series resistor.
If we take capacitors Q=Rp/XC for parallel R and Q=XC/Rs for series R.
But now, we must put here both capacities in series the smaller value.

That is in short form equ what Ian said. You are on the right side Ian.

Eimac`s error will be stronger if you have lower transfer ratios between
generator and 50 Ohm load. The ratio between the reactance of C1 C2 are
slower and we will get a bigger error term.
Example, if the network transforms 50 in to 50 out, Eimac`s formulae
makes an error of +100 percent in Q. This means a starting Q of 10 (math)
will be 20 in the real world.

Real loads (not complex) on both sides of the network permits no other
phase angle as 0 and 180 d. at resonance.

Greetings from Uwe, DL9NC