[AMPS] Pi-Net math

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Pi-Net math
From: w4eto@rmi.net (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:48:34 -0600
Rich...

Why do you find it so hard to comprehend that there's a FUNDAMENTAL
definition of "Q" from which all other "descriptions" or adaptations
descend?

It's in basic engineering  texts going back at least 70 years. E.g.,
ELECTRONIC and RADIO ENGINEERING, Frederick Terman (Dean of the Stanford
School of Engineering), copyrighted first in 1932 and a classic at least
well into the 60's... p.45 under the general topic of "Resonance:"

        Q = 2pi (energy stored in circuit) / (energy dissipated in circuit
                                                        during one cycle)

Eimac, as many others have pointed out previously, defined a parameter "Q"
for use in the flawed equations in their publications (and in many others
for decades), but that doesn't make either their equations or their
definition of Q anything but a peculiarity of historical interest which led
to a lot of badly designed low-Q matching networks and confusing results.

Terman is credible on "Q" and resonance. Various organizations,
publications and individuals who uncritically propagated one or more
inapplicable approximations to valid equations over the decades (and today)
are not. Time to do your homework.

Cheers,

Dick   W0ID