[AMPS] SV: <inget ämne>

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SV: <inget ämne>
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (Hans Goldschmidt)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:13:08 +0200
Yes Ian, but there is something very important connected to this: you get
with some antennas a much lower background noise level when the antenna is
DC connected to ground.

My very long wire, endfed against my water pipe and matched with the
variable capacitive divider in a Johnson matchbox, had no DC connection
against ground and I also had flashovers when there was a thunderstorm
around.I thus got early warnings, very practical!The only way the antenna
could discharge, was a flash over or across the ceramic insulation in the
capacitive divider. I thus got piezo effects making the high noise level.
The solution was simple: connected a National R 175A choke from antenna to
ground,the static was discharged and got a much lower noise background.
73s de Hans SM5KI