[AMPS] Re:(AMPS) sb-200 troubles

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:(AMPS) sb-200 troubles
From: measures@vcnet.com (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:01:55 -0700

>> Anyone using a PA on an antenna without DC grounded driven element is
>> certifiable.
>
>Then I am in that class. I can count the following here:
>
>160 dipole at 310 feet above ground,

An impressive erection, Tom.

> 80 meter dipole at 160 feet
>AGL, force 12 ten, fifteen, and twenty meter yagi stacks with
>floating parasitic elements and floating driven elements, four 130
>foot verticals in a 160 meter four square, and a 200 foot vertical on
>an insulator.
>
>> There are reasons other than the obvious HV voltage appearing on the
>> antenna. For example, a lightning flash ("near strike") could build up a
>> EMP voltage on an ungrounded antenna that would make the voltage generated
>> by a hi-pot tester seem like child's play.
>
>And I suppose we should think a small choke that has a high
>enough impedance to not affect SWR will change the level of
>energy substantially from a nearby lightning hit?
>
>Guess again.

My guess is that the "safety" choke becomes copper vapour within mS.

>The majority of energy in a lightning discharge is in the hundreds of
>kilohertz range, and remaining energy extends from light
>frequencies all the way down. You can see it with your eyes, see it
>on the VHF or UHF television set screen when the hit is dozens of
>miles away, hear hits thousands of miles away on 160, 80 and 40
>meters.

 Amen.  I can see UHF TV interference from lightning storms that are over
the San Bernardino Mountains, 90 miles to the East.

>If the choke has enough impedance to NOT affect RF it does little
>to nothing for lightning pulses.
>
>The best rule is if it storms, don't be a fool. Unhook the antennas
>and move the feedlines out of the way.

Indeed,  toss 'em out the window lest they burn your house down after a
direct hit.  .

> Of course the shields,
>which always carry the bulk of the energy, should be well grounded
>with a proper system.
>
>> Guess where that voltage goes
>> to: the components on the output circuit of the linear. (Point to check:
>> is the coax connector on the exciter DC grounded? Some are not). Once,
>> during a distant thunder storm, about 30 km distant, I watched discharges
>> arcing across a PL-259 connector on some RG213 coax (voltage rating over
>> kV) which was feeding an ungrounded 80m dipole.
>
>Different effect. I can stand outside and watch the gap on a 318
>foot insulated base tower arc when lightning flashes on the horizon.
>That tower IS dc grounded through the chokes that feed tower
>lights and VHF antennas, and it still fires across a 1/4 inch gap.
>
>When lightning hits, even miles away, EVERYTHING arcs in my
>yard. The guy wires arc across the insulators, the gaps on the
>tower bases arc (grounded towers or not), the capacitors in a
>matching network WITH a grounded center-tap inductor feeding a
>long open wire line and curtain array arc.
>
>The only major damage I ever had was when a direct hit occurred
>on a grounded shunt fed tower (with 100 number 8 gauge radial
>wires for 160 meters). The vacuum variable in the shunt wire melted
>inside, and the hit went through the amplifier and into a T4XC where
>it welded the loading capacitor plates and torched the relay board.
>
>I stupidly did not have the feedline unhooked, and depended on a
>"Blitz Bug" (an old days coax lightning arrestor) to stop feedline
>differential voltages.

The Blitz Bug is, without doubt, a delightsome laugher.

>> As the antenna gets physically bigger, it's exposure area builds up
>> higher EMP voltages, high impedance antennas such as long wires and
>> helicals are particularly prone.
>
>It's the impedance from dc to light, in particular at a few hundred
>kilohertz,  that matters.
>
>Now I'm not saying grounding the element is a bad idea, it just
>means precious little except for the slow gradual build up of
>charge. For example, my 160 dipole even on a calm day will knock
>you flat on your butt if you disconnect the feedline and let it hang in
>the air, and touch it after five or ten minutes.

My 0.3 wavelength 80m vertical builds up several kV within 15 sec. when
the East wind from the desert blows, providing that the bleeder resistor
is disconnected.

>When my antennas are connected to the station through a switch
>box, they are indeed "dc grounded" through various chokes in the
>equipment. But if anyone for a minute thinks that ground does
>anything much more than eliminate the tick tick tick of the slow
>voltage build-up from charge gradient between the earth and sky
>(and that gradient is there all the time, storm or not) they need to
>re-think the problem. That problem can cause a popping noise in
>the receiver or blow out sensitive front-end components.

Which is why I bleed things down with a c. 10Meg ohm HV resistor from the
antenna to gnd.

-
-  Rich...
R. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures