[AMPS] Silver Plating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Silver Plating
From: fredffff@hotmail.com (Fred Fliss)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 06:17:15 EDT
I guess I'm confused.  I'm just an engineer.  We were taught that Lord
Kelvin said that until you can put numbers to it, you don't know a darned
thing.  So on this silver plating thing, we have one Brit who shows a
physics textbook claiming a difference in resistivity between copper and
silver.  Nobody else who has a word to say on it has numbers.  Those who
claim "better" amplfier performance cannot say how much better.  If I'm
going to go to my boss and declare that we have to pay for silver plating, I
must have numbers!  So far, I don't.

We make amplifiers here, and I'm under the gun to decide to silver plate or
not.  I have built some pretty high Q filters, measured them on Wiltron 360
analyzers, then had them silver plated. No measurable difference.  Nada.
Zilch.  Zilchola.  Zilcholaschevitz.  None.

But, hey, that's after only a couple of days.  Can anybody bring definitive
evidence to bear that a couple of years field use will prove silver plate
better?  If not, then I challenge KE9NA's vendor - why should I pay you to
silver plate when you can't show me any benefits?

Go figure.

Sometimes we live in a wive's tale.