[AMPS] SWR and line length, etc.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SWR and line length, etc.
From: mgilmer@gnlp.com (Gilmer, Mike)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:50:54 -0400
On Monday, October 04, 1999 12:25 PM, Jon Ogden [SMTP:jono@enteract.com]
wrote:
> Gilmer, Mike wrote:

> >are
> >>
> >> I think that the indicated SWR minimum will always correspond to
zero
> >> reactance.
>
> No, that's not correct necessarily.  A 100 Ohm termination used in a
50
> Ohm system has no reactive components.  Adding a 1/8 wavelength of 50
Ohm
> transmission line will make that 100 Ohm real load look purely
reactive.
> Adding an additional 1/8 wavelength will make the impedance look like
25
> Ohms pure resistive.  One more 1/8 wavelength will make it look purely

> inductive.  And so on.
>
> The SWR stayed constant in all cases at 2:1 regardless of the fact of
> whether or not the load looked purely reactive or purely resistive.

What I was trying to describe, and I believe Pete understood it be, was
the case of having some arbitrary fixed load impedance and changing
frequency (tuning around) to look for a dip in VSWR.  Pete said that the
minimum would occur at zero reactance.

> >Hmm.  Me thinks you are right.
> >For a given resistive part, adding any reactive component takes you
> >outside the SWR circle for the resistive part alone (SWR goes up).
>
> This is correct.  For a purely resistive load, adding additional
> reactance will do this.  However, if you are not purely resisitive,
> adding a particular reactance can improve your VSWR.
>
> >Therefore, SWR minimum occurs at the zero reactive point.
>
> You can't necessarily draw that conclusion.  In a 50 Ohm system
> (normalized Smith chart) SWR minimum is at the center.

What's your point?  The center IS zero reactive.

Also, minimum SWR, in some arbitrary cable/load system, may not be at
the center.

> 73,
>
> Jon
> KE9NA