[AMPS] Re: The Worldwide, No Holds Barred, SWR Quiz.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: The Worldwide, No Holds Barred, SWR Quiz.
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 99 11:54:30 -0500
measures wrote:

>?  I'm trying, I'm trying.  .  I thought I recalled reading that you
>supported the theory that the placement of the SWR meter would make no
>difference in the SWR reading.   I was wrong.  Sorry, Jon.

Only, if the transmission line was 50 Ohms and the load was of a different
impedance (ie: a 100 Ohm load on a 50 Ohm transmission line measured with a 50
Ohm instrument).

A half wave transmission line with a load at end A, repeats the impedance of
that load at point B (end of the line).

For your specific case, you are correct.  So one cannot always say that placing
an SWR meter at different points in a line will not change the SWR.  But if the
characteristic impedance of the line and the SWR meter is the same, it will
always read the same SWR.

In your example, if we used a 93 Ohm SWR meter the SWR would measure 1.86 not
matter where it was placed along that transmission line.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na