[AMPS] grades of "cb amplifiers".

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] grades of "cb amplifiers".
From: nospam4me@juno.com (nospam4me@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 02:51:25 -0700

I really enjoyed laughing at the CB amplifier stories, so here's a few I
know about...

Most of the 70's vintage serious amplifiers were semi home brew ceramic
tubes or converted amateur stuff.

In particular a Guy in Stockton, California name glenn made some pretty
serious toys for the high dollar crowd.

It's been some time, but I think I remember...

Seeing his parallel, 6 tube 4CX250 model place over 4kw output into a
commercial load.   This amplifier was about the size of two large
Henrys.

The version with a 4cx5000 amplifier did 9kw into his load...

Everything built like a battle ship...

these were used for am operation.  Mostly the crowd on channel 6 with a
southern accent operate them.
He always had a years long back order...   When the 10 meter amplifier
ban came out, he quietly went out of business.

He could never get a handle on a reliable screen supply. One I converted
some years back to 40 meters and installed a screen supply shunt
regulator. It's now in the hands of a contester in Northern California.
He wins contests quite a bit...

Most serious CB DX types I've met, properly operate Amateur Amplifiers.
Better for us as they seem to be better at keeping them clean vs the mule
headed ham across town from me using his amplifier in line after a poorly
biased swan 350.
Why, he could almost be a net control...

cheers
skipp