[AMPS] Italians and power?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Italians and power?
From: RFpower@radiodan.com (Radiodan W7RF)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:42:02 -0800
One more CQWW DX SSB contest passed and a good time was had by all
(hopefully). Part of our amateur hobby is the radio sport of it for some,
myself included.

And once again a tail of the Italian(s) who were 10 to 20 DB over S-9 that I
could not work!

In particular IG9A was soooo strong that I thought for sure I'd work him.
I've worked many italians on SSB and CW but in the contests "they" seem to
"come out".

When I first put up my tower in 1984 and with it a 2 ele. yagi for 40M I had
my first taste of this. Here it is 1999 and a new 2 ele. yagi for 40M with
legal limit output and they still aren't hearing me. I know it's not me as
nobody from the west cost worked him while I was listening. Not just a
simple case of being beat out by closer or better propagationed stations,
nope, there were times when he called and called but seemingly nobody was
calling him.

Anybody have any stories of how much power those guys are actually using?

Is this thing on?

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY RF Power Amplifiers.
RF Applications Power Measuring equipment, See the VFD & WinWatt!
www.radiodan.com    RFpower@radiodan.com
A trip to our web site is worth the click!