[AMPS] Whither the 807?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Whither the 807?
From: w7iuv@axtek.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:33:18 +0000
At 05:16 PM 11/1/99 -0800, W6NQ wrote:

>Did anyone out there ever make a "beer can vertical"?
>That's where you invite all your buddies over for an antenna raising party,
>solder the cans together (when they were made of steel), and see how tall
>you could make it without it (or yourself) falling over.
>Regards,  Merit  W6NQ

Yes I have. Being a bit under-age at the time, I was forced to wait on most
of the emptys from my Dad. That was OK as he could empty them a whole bunch
faster then I could solder them.

Soldering those cans together is a whole lot harder then it seems. It took
me a month after school to put together about 30 feet of cans in five foot
chunks. I never did get an antenna up cause the thing was too heavy to
raise up with the resources available to me at the time.

I kept the pieces around for years and finally scrapped them because of
moving across country.

Shortly after soldering all those together, I realized it was a whole lot
better to empty 807's then make antennas out of the discards.

73,

Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@arrl.net
http://www.axtek.com/w7iuv