[AMPS] 3-500Z

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500Z
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:58:47 -0700

>G'day all,
>         I'm looking for 1 x Eimac 3-500Z tube to use in a SB220. It is for
>my friend John, VK6JX, who just had a very good used pair shipped to him
>but unfortunately one of them was damaged in transit.
>
>The plate broke away from the stem.

This was a common fault in Eimac 3-500Zs that were manufactured in Utah.
The problem is that not enough current was used to cause an adequate melt
at anode cooler spotwelds.  This defect can be spotted by slapping the
tube in the palm.  If the anode cooler bends, the welds are defective.
Another method of spotting the problem is to observe the spotwelds.  If a
weld  looks neat and smooth, insufficient melting took place.  If the
weld appears rough, a good melt took place. .  //  Early reports on
Triton tubes showed the same defect.  I have never seen a Chinese tube
with defective spot welds.

cheers.