SV: [AMPS] Tetrode Amp Help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] Tetrode Amp Help
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:30:57 +0000
sm5ki wrote:
>Do you really need a stabilized screen grid supply? If the g2 voltage
>follows relatively slowly the envelope of a SSB signal, you should get a
>only a slow gain variation in the tube??? You have then to use a large
>condenser across the g2 voltage. If I remember right ( and I may be wrong
>)looking into the NAG gg two meter 4CX350 linear  the g2 voltage adjusted
>itself to the average drive level and you could use anything from 3-10 watts
>of drive with good linearity.I used the famous IC 202 as a very clean driver
>- the linear supplied the 13.5 VDC.

Rich has answered most of your points.

I don't remember any drive-variable screen voltage feature in the NAGs
that came into this country.

Using an IC-202, you must have been one of the few people on the planet
who wasn't overdriving his NAG! Most people hit them with 10W and
destroyed the 4CX350 in very short order.

>From Hans / SM5KI new member of the RSGB Ian

Welcome!

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek