[AMPS] knock a 3-500z short loose..?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] knock a 3-500z short loose..?
From: RFpower@radiodan.com (Radiodan W7RF)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:18:06 -0800
Hi Skipp,

My method is to provide a low voltage high current source (I have used 35+
amp power supplies or even a car battery) and put one lead on the grid and
one on the filament. It will burn through very quickly. Then take the tube
with the lead still attached and tap it to get any loose flakes that are
just about to short to come-on-down now.

Guaranteed good for another hundred years!

But seriously, my results have varied from getting good long term service to
having the short reappear again very soon. Depends on how much damage you
are willing to put up with vs. the cost of a new tube. With 3-500 tubes very
inexpensive (relatively), the risk is high and the potential value low.

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY RF Power Amplifiers.
RF Applications Power Measuring equipment, See the VFD & WinWatt!
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com>     RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!