[AMPS] knock a 3-500z short loose..?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] knock a 3-500z short loose..?
From: w1nr@eecorp.com (Michael McCarthy, W1NR)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 17:20:08 -0500
Let me add a few comments:

   Find the side of the filament with the lowest resistance reading to the
grid.  That will give you the most direct path.  Keep the tube upright
when applying power.  A car battery has worked well for me.

Mike, W1NR

Radiodan W7RF wrote:

> Hi Skipp,
>
> My method is to provide a low voltage high current source (I have used 35+
> amp power supplies or even a car battery) and put one lead on the grid and
> one on the filament. It will burn through very quickly. Then take the tube
> with the lead still attached and tap it to get any loose flakes that are
> just about to short to come-on-down now.
>
> Guaranteed good for another hundred years!
>
> But seriously, my results have varied from getting good long term service to
> having the short reappear again very soon. Depends on how much damage you
> are willing to put up with vs. the cost of a new tube. With 3-500 tubes very
> inexpensive (relatively), the risk is high and the potential value low.
>
> 73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
> Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY RF Power Amplifiers.
> RF Applications Power Measuring equipment, See the VFD & WinWatt!
> www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com>     RFpower@radiodan.com
> <mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!

**************** Give Every Man His Dew **************
Michael A. McCarthy, President
Everest Engineering Corporation, Consultants
4 Barnes Circle, Marlborough, MA 01752
(508) 460-6737, FAX (508) 460-7951
mailto:w1nr@eecorp.com