[AMPS] RF Choke Forms

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RF Choke Forms
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:36:20 -0700

>I have seen and used Teflon in many high power HF amps.
>It has good D factor numbers, and is easy to groove and tap.
>Henry uses Teflon in all their high power industrial RF generators
>that run continuously, 8 hrs per day; and most of their ham amps.
>Creative Electronics also uses it.
>
>G-10 fiberglass is almost as good, but will usually not survive a
>choke fire. (melts)

The key to surviving a choke fire is to unkey promptly.  I had a G10
choke fire in my 8169 amplifier that it caused a stentorian arc to the
roof of the rf deck  The G10 discoloured a bit but did not burn.  I
removed the crispy-crittered turns.  The choke resonance moved up and the
amplifier exhibited a gain of 65.  .

My main objections to Teflon are lack of rigidty, cold flow, and
phosgene.  The D-factor is wonderful.

cheers, Phil.