SV: [AMPS] Re: Tank Coils

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] Re: Tank Coils
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:18:24 +0000
> DETTA MEDDELANDE ?R I MIME-FORMAT. P? grund av att din e-postl?sare inte
> f?rst?r
detta format, kommer hela eller delar av detta meddelande inte att vara l?sbart.

--MS_Mac_OE_3031114704_82467_MIME_Part

In 1947 when I worked with ship transmitters,we filled  the copper tubing
full with sand when winding to avoid deformation.  We sealed both ends also=
,
of course.

Prosit de Hans SM5KI

Fr=E5n: Arne Gjerning <gjerning@flash.net>
Till: Amp Ref <amps@contesting.com>
=C4mne: [AMPS] Re: Tank Coils
Datum: ons 19 jan 2000 05.10

Winding coils of 1 1/2 inch ID should be fairly easy. I use the 1/4 inch
tubing normally used to run water lines to swamp coolers as it is fairly
soft and is easy to work with (I Have several coils of this size in the
garage I have wound). If 1 1/2inch ID is critical use a mandrel smaller to
compensate for coil expansion after winding tension is removed (experiment)=
.
The tubing might tend to flatten slightly but that will not hurt if the
tubing is not kinked.

I close wind my coils and then use a piece of wood and run it between the
turns to get a uniform spacing. This way I do not need to be careful in the
winding process to try and get spacing while winding. Another method is to
pull on both ends of the coil carefully keeping windings aligned lengthwise=
.

Home Base, Home Depot, Costco are  places sure to have the coppor tubing an=
I get it in a boxed quantity. The box helps protect the tubing from
shipping, storage and handling damaged until it gets to your home.

Hope this helps a bit.

73 de Arne N7KA

--MS_Mac_OE_3031114704_82467_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>SV: [AMPS] Re: Tank Coils</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
In 1947 when I worked with ship transmitters,we filled &nbsp;the copper tub=
ing full with sand when winding to avoid deformation. &nbsp;We sealed both e=
nds also, of course. <BR>
<BR>
Prosit de Hans SM5KI<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Fr=E5n: Arne Gjerning &lt;gjerning@flash.net&gt;<BR>
Till: Amp Ref &lt;amps@contesting.com&gt;<BR>
=C4mne: [AMPS] Re: Tank Coils<BR>
Datum: ons 19 jan 2000 05.10<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2">Winding coils of 1 1/2 inch ID should be fairly =
easy. I use the 1/4 inch tubing normally used to run water lines to swamp co=
olers as it is fairly soft and is easy to work with (I Have several coils of=
 this size in the garage I have wound). If 1 1/2inch ID is critical use a ma=
ndrel smaller to compensate for coil expansion after winding tension is remo=
ved (experiment). The tubing might tend to flatten slightly but that will no=
t hurt if the tubing is not kinked.</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">I close wind my coils and then use a piece of wood and run i=
t between the turns to get a uniform spacing. This way I do not need to be c=
areful in the winding process to try and get spacing while winding. Another =
method is to pull on both ends of the coil carefully keeping windings aligne=
d lengthwise.</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">Home Base, Home Depot, Costco are &nbsp;places sure to have =
the coppor tubing and I get it in a boxed quantity. The box helps protect th=
e tubing from shipping, storage and handling damaged until it gets to your h=
ome.</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">Hope this helps a bit.</FONT> <BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">73 de Arne N7KA</FONT> <BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3031114704_82467_MIME_Part--