[AMPS] Diodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Diodes
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:16:40 -0000
Rich says:

>Without any "voltage sharing strategy", there is
>Always equal reverse current in each diode.

Yes. If the diode breaks down, there's more volts and more amps in the rest
of the diodes - generally, not for too long. I haven't seen that many diodes
with guaranteed controlled avalanche characteristics, or guaranteed reverse
capacities. But selected ones may go for years - or maybe seconds, depending
on a lot of factors.

One has to ask why some of the cheap unbranded diodes are so cheap compared
with branded stuff from known manufacturers. Bearing in mind the way
semiconductor companies work, one has to assume that something is missing in
the manufacturing process and it's probably in QA and test.
Bear in mind that I know of no other industry other than semiconductors
which will take your money to do a design, and then tell you that they got
it wrong, and you have to pay more money for them to put it right.

73

Peter G3RZP