[AMPS] Blow TL922

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blow TL922
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:52:09 +0000
G0MJW wrote:

>The zener diode can be replaced with a series of c. 7, 1A forward-biased
>diodes. Such an arrangement is much more rugged than a zener.
>
>And also poor regulation - Does it really matter ? If you are doing that you
>might as well just use a resistor as the bias is only a few volts and it
>will probably still be cleaner than the driver. I suggest you use a low
>power zener and a transistor, or a programmable zener like the TL431 and a
>pass transistor. G3SEK might comment.

The TL431 circuit is at:
http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk\g3sek\boards\triode\triode-3.htm

It's fully adjustable and certainly cheaper than a large zener.

I don't really know how the IMD varies with cathode bias regulation.
Mostly, I use the precision regulator in order to reduce any additional
bias voltage changes caused by the protected grid current metering
circuit (on the same web page).

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek