[AMPS] FAILURE OF PARASITIC RESISTORS IN AL-811X AMPLIFIER

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] FAILURE OF PARASITIC RESISTORS IN AL-811X AMPLIFIER
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:19:32 -0600

>> Jon, you stated previously that you were in the resistor business.
>> Why don't you provide a mini lecture on the inductance in helical wound
>> "metal film" resistors of the type that are probably going to be
>> encountered in the 5-10 Watt class on RF suppressors? Here in the third
>> world, even 1/4 Watt "metal film" resistors turn out to be helical wound
>> jobs, readily proven by burning the paint off them and inspecting the
>> remains... Surely if the function of a resistor is to emulate R only, then
>> inherent inductance must be kept low, and carbon composition types are the
>> preferred option?

All standard resistors of the "tubular" type are somewhat "wound."  All have
inductances.

The resistors I sell are thin film nichrome (OK, OK, nichrome IS used as the
resistive film element in these puppies!) on beryllium oxide substrates.
They are VERY low in inductance and are intended for RF applications up to
10 GHz.  Some devices handle power up to 800 Watts!

So while I know these quite well, I really can't comment much on the
inductances in helical or tubular resistors.  I'll defer that to others.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden