SV: [AMPS] Network analysis of suppressors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] Network analysis of suppressors
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 19:27:44 +0000
If you short-circuit the grid to the cathode with a number of low inductance
caps ( chip caps? )in a super cathode tetrode amp - is this a good start to
get a parasitic-free linear? Without any supressors?

I ask this, because I see in the april issue 1970 of CQ MAGAZINE such an
amplifier using a 4CX1000A at 3000 anode and 325 screen grid volts. The
article shows the relationship beetween drive power and output and is the
curve very linear up to 1500 watts out where you need 180 watts drive. This
is what a TS 950 ( that I would like to buy now ) produces with low
distorsion ( 48 volt final transistors ).  I guess the internal structure of
the tube grid and its leads to the outside world will be resonant at some
high frequency where the tube gain maybe will be not high enough to make the
tube oscillate.

The best thing is if the tube is stable: you never get any grid current -
very essential in a 4CX1000A that has a very low grid dissipation allowed.

I guess you must make this short circuit very broadband? Must be equally
effective on short wave as on VHF/UHF? A number of 0.01 + 0.001 uF silver
micas and chip caps may be needed?

Anybody of you gurus has maybe an opinion?

de Hans SM5KI