[AMPS] Surge voltage, HV connectors.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Surge voltage, HV connectors.
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:35:03 -0600

>What about the Millen HV connectors used in the DRAKE linears? de Han SM5KI

These are the ones that are referred to in this thread. There are two types
of Millen HV connectors; those that have already broken, cracked, or arced,
and those that will do so in the future. The arcing problem is eliminated by
removing the chassis connector and drilling out the hole to a larger size.
Then a rectangular plate is constructed of Plexiglas or Teflon with three
holes in it that match the original holes in the chassis. Reassemble with
longer screws.  I use very high quality spark plug wire obtained from
J.C. Whitney in Chicago. (orange, all copper conductor) This is a good
fit into the plug, and rated @ several thousand volts.

Since we seem to be on a "specifications kick" here on the reflector lately,
Millen rates the black or red phenolic connectors for 7,000 volts @ 2 amps.
The yellow connectors, which look like the red and black ones, are much
different. They are mica-filled phenolic units that are usable for RF and for
D.C. voltages up to 4,200 volts.

These connectors are available from James Millen Electronics @ (978)975-2711.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC