[AMPS] 2nd harmonic pumped parasitic

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 2nd harmonic pumped parasitic
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 07:05:20 -0600
on 3/3/00 1:06 AM, Ian Roberts at itr@nanoteq.co.za wrote:

> What intrigues me, is that certain amps appear to work for a while, even
> in hygienic surroundings, then suddenly say "good bye", apparently
> without good reason.
> But your reference to the effect of reactance on oscillation might be
> the clue, especially when one reads reports about deteriorating
> connectors and water running onto Joe's feet down the coax...

Well, Ian, I think one possible explanation is that the suppressor resistors
go bad with time.  The heating effects caused by the tube, circulating
current, etc. greatly shortens the lifetime of the resistors from what they
would be at room.  Over time they wear out, and then pow! you end up not
having a network that is capable of suppressing oscillation.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden