[AMPS] arcs and sparks

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] arcs and sparks
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:23:39 -0700

>Rich wrote:
>
><italic><FontFamily><param>Courier</param>> >Arcs inside the tube do make
>a large bang if
>the amplifier does not have
>
>> >enough ESR in the anode system.

??  I did not write this, Mr. Rauch.

>> When a 2000pF vacuum variable arcs, it makes a
>> barely audible sound.
>

></italic>What an amazingly poor analogy. A vacuum
>variable is generally in a resonant circuit with very little reserve
>energy. When it arcs, the
>circuit is detuned and energy flow immediately
>stops.

The vac capacitor was connected to a high-pot. .  When the capacitor
arced, 5100v discharged through less than 0.5- ohm of ESR.  A tink was
heard,  In my opinion, arcs in open air can make stentorian noises.  Arcs
in a vacuum are a whole nuther ballgame because there is no sound
conducting medium surrounding the arc.  .

>A power grid tube, on the other hand, almost
>always connects
>
>across a dc supply with considerable stored
>energy and other
>
>components in the path.
>

>When it arcs, it has to pull the supply with its
>high stored energy to
>
>ground and does so through may components that
>are connected
>
>in series with the path.
>

>When you have some time, do the following
>experiment. It may
>
>help you understand the problem.
>

>Charge a 40 mFd capacitor to 4000  volts and
>discharge it with a
>
>vacuum relay. Listen to the noise.
>

>Now do the same with the vacuum relay across a
>4000 volt
>
>charged 1000 pF vacuum capacitor. Listen to the
>noise.
>

>For an added measure of realism, throw a RF
>choke in series with
>
>both when doing the test.
>

>You will hear a large difference in noise.
>Amazingly enough, no
>
>parasitic oscillation is
>>aram
>
><nofill>
Mr. Rauch -- your e-mailer app. appears to be having parasites.