[AMPS] Re: Poor science

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Poor science
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 07:39:53 -0500
Hi Carl,

We can't ignore Rich's claims, because he gives them as evidence
and he basically supplies the incorrect science that misleads
people into thinking any resonance outside the operating frequency
is a "bad" resonance,  virtually all failures are parasitic induced,
and he has the only cure.

> Non sequitur. I said nothing about Rich's claims. My criticizing his
> critics doesn't mean that I'm defending him or agreeing with him. He
> doesn't need my help anyway.

That depends on one's perspective. I find very little, if any, correct
physics behind many of the claims.

I'd certainly enjoy learning why things in amplifiers work contrary to
physical laws that govern the rest of the universe. Maybe you can
help.

Please read my response to Rich's grid heating theory, or resistor
heating theory.

> I reiterate:
>
> It is possible for a circuit to be stable under thermal voltages or other
> small excitations and yet go into sustained oscillation following receipt
> of a sufficiently large and/or sufficiently well-timed transient
> excitation.

Please give me an an example of a class A or AB linear PA that
will go into a catastrophic failure induced by a oscillation when
tickled with exactly the right transient, but will not oscillate under
proper testing for stability.

Better yet, give me an example where the oscillation suddenly
occurs in a PA that operates normally under all sorts of loading
and tuning conditions for many years, and where that same
oscillation shows up as a sudden explosion while the amplifier is
on standby.

Rich claims that can occur. Perhaps you can site an example that
doesn't fly in the face of good science.

> I'll come up an example or two if you'd like.

I'd like. Specifically, tell me how a tube that is otherwise healthy
can suddenly draw hundreds of amperes...or that can hold off ten
or 12 kV can suddenly arc from these sinister parasitics that lurk in
virtually every non-nichrome PA in the world.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com