[AMPS] rollers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] rollers
From: Donald.Kessler@wpafb.af.mil (Kessler Donald J LtCol HQ AFMC/DOOT)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:29:03 -0500
>Tom,
>
>>To cure the problem, he needs to switch to a large gauge
>>conductor in the rollers.
>I'd be interested in your comments regarding the Palstar roller (5Kw+ &
>$225.00 US) which they sell separately as well as incorporating in their
>4Kw tuner?
>
>www.palstarinc.com
>
>Phil  G4ZOW

Phil,

I went up to Piqua, Ohio yesterday and dropped in on Palstar.  Great
products! and great hospitality!  I'm surprised that I never heard of them
until now... Apparently most all of their business is mail order.  They are
a very small company, but they seem to be tailored to a very high-quality
product line.

Anyway, the roller inductor you mention is very, very, sturdy and extremely
well constructed - as are all their products.  It is not inexpensive, but I
don't think you will find a better roller inductor...

I really liked their high-power tuner - very impressive!

The layout of the tuner is real slick.  They kept all of the RF leads and
inner connections very short.  And the antenna switch is very robust - the
type of thing you would expect to see in a commercial high power amp.  The
tuner even uses a Jennings vacuum relay to switch in extra capacitance, and
the balun is on the coaxial input for balanced loads.  That way, the balun
never is subjected to a wide range of complex impedance...  The swr bridge
is very well done.  I think they use this swr bridge typology in their other
swr meters too.

Anyway, their roller inductor is top-notch construction.  They also make
some nice, very robust variable capacitors...

I know what I'm putting on the Christmas wish-list - now if my wife will
just knit a stocking big enough for the tuner ...

73 de ki6sz