[AMPS] rollers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] rollers
From: phil@invest.fsbusiness.co.uk (phil)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:54:05 +0000
Hello Donald,

>I went up to Piqua, Ohio yesterday and dropped in on Palstar.  Great
>products! and great hospitality!  I'm surprised that I never heard of them
>until now...
If you've never heard of them the chances are many others haven't
either. One wonders where they advertise.

Anyhow, I'm pleased you validate their products.

I'm now interested to hear what Tom says or maybe they have improved the
quality of their product line over the years.
> Apparently most all of their business is mail order.  They are
>a very small company, but they seem to be tailored to a very high-quality
>product line.
>
>Anyway, the roller inductor you mention is very, very, sturdy and extremely
>well constructed - as are all their products.  It is not inexpensive, but I
>don't think you will find a better roller inductor...
I mentioned Kintronics in a previous post. Their rollers are truly
serious and  designed for the AM broadcast marketplace, probably with
prices to match!
>I really liked their high-power tuner - very impressive!
If I have time after Dayton I may arrange a trip up there myself.
>The layout of the tuner is real slick.  They kept all of the RF leads and
>inner connections very short.  And the antenna switch is very robust - the
>type of thing you would expect to see in a commercial high power amp.  The
>tuner even uses a Jennings vacuum relay to switch in extra capacitance, and
>the balun is on the coaxial input for balanced loads.  That way, the balun
>never is subjected to a wide range of complex impedance...  The swr bridge
>is very well done.  I think they use this swr bridge typology in their other
>swr meters too.
>
>Anyway, their roller inductor is top-notch construction.  They also make
>some nice, very robust variable capacitors...
(((73)))

Phil  G4ZOW