[AMPS] Re: New G2DAF amplifier information

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: New G2DAF amplifier information
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:26:38 -0700

>Rich says:
>
>>Can you accept what is on the constant-current curves?

>Yes - but what has that got to do with it?

When the curve deviates, the resultant signal feculates.

>Quote again from Pappenfus et al. 'Most power tubes have a more linear plate
>characteristic operating Class AB2, however.'

My guess is that he is not all that familar with constant current curves.
 Eimac rates two tetrodes for Class AB2 grid driven linear service.

>       >I do not agree.  Modern transceivers need a 50-j0 ohm load.  With
>grid   >current, the load Z on the exciter goes bananas
>

>Not necessarily so. It depend on the relative ratio of grid swamping to non
>linear grid current loading.

Tossing off the effect of rapidly decreasing grid resistance as grid
current flows does not wash. .

>   Additionally, you appear to assume that the
>input impedance of grounded cathode AB1 stage is constant and high.

[chortle]

>This is
>not necessarily so - because of Miller effect.
>
>If the driver has adequte NFB to reduce its output impedance, the effects
>are minimised.

I know of no commercial radio that works well with other than a 50-ohm
load.

cheers, Peter

end