[AMPS] Books

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Books
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:19:55 +0000
Radio WC6W wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:32:01 -0800 "Carl Clawson"
><cclawson@transport.com> writes:
>>
>>I'm interested in books that will help me learn more about tubes and
>their
>>RF applications.
>>
>>I've heard mention of a Pappenfus, and would appreciate the title and
>>author's full name as I haven't been able to locate that info. I'd also
>like
>>to hear of other favorite books, whether out of print or not. I'm
>interested
>>in both practical design as well as fundamental theory and electron tube
>>physics.
>>
>>Thank you
>>Carl WS7L
>>

>Hi Carl,
>  The title you seek is "SIngle Sideband Systems & Circuits", 1964
>authored along with Bruene & Schoenike.  There is also a 2nd and a 3rd
>edition, the latter I believe is still in print.  Naturally, there is
>more about sideband and less about tubes with each new edition.
>
>  Another cute little book, way out of print but great if you can find
>it, is "Amateur Single Sideband" by Collins Radio, 1962.
>
>  For general Tube and RF design, an old edition of the Radio's Engineers
>Handbook by Terman (editions from the '30's through the '50's) is a must.
>  This covers ALL the basics.  The later editions are better... and note
>that the early '40's publications delete all references to radar for
>wartime secrecy.
>
>  The "Radiotron Designer's Handbook", 4th edition (red cover) from the
>'50's covers a lot of area besides RF but, it unfortunately has become
>somewhat of a collector's item among the audiophiles; therefore pricey.
>
>  Care & Feeding of Power Gird Tubes by Eimac (later Varian) originally
>from the '50's plus later editions covers power tube applications.
>
>  Some of the middle editions (around the 15th-20th) of the Radio
>Handbook by Orr are also interesting reading.
>
>73 & Happy reading!
>  Marv  WC6W

Given that information, try www.bookfinder.com which serves a network of
book dealers. Occasional copies of Pappenfus turn up there, and there
usually seem to be lots of copies of Terman and the Radiotron Handbooks.

You can search for the author/title and then browse a list of dealers
and prices, with links to order from the one you choose.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek