SV: [AMPS] Inrush Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] Inrush Current
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:43:33 -0700

>>>Yes, there are some nice photographs in "Parasitics Revisited". The
>>>point being...?
>>
>>Penetrating the grid seems quite unlikely.
>
>Depends what you mean by "penetrating". It doesn't have to blow a
>physical hole in the grid.
>
>What could be happening is that the very local area of the grid where
>the arc strikes is pulled strongly positive,

The grid is rather well grounded through the Eimac fixture.  .

>which then produces an
>extreme current density in the local section of the cathode.

I do not see how such a scenario would be possible.  None of the current
that supplies an anode/grid arc is emitted by the cathode. The current
carriers are either from a seal leak or from loose gold meltballs --  the
latter being more common in my experiences.

>The self-
>inductance and resistance in the grid and cathode structures could be
>high enough to allow a local section to go positive for a very short
>time, before the potentials equalize.
>
>How else can you explain the burn marks on the cathode, and that each
>one is opposite a burn mark on the grid?

I have never found such a thing in a autopsied 8877.  When an anode arc
takes place across the anode insulator, the gold meltballs appear to
remelt and recondense.

cheers, Ian

end