[AMPS] Unruly L-7 Amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Unruly L-7 Amplifier
From: W6NQ" <w6nq@rfparts.com (W6NQ)
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 10:10:38 -0700
Jeff:
This really sounds like one of two things to me:
(1.) An intermittant Grid-Filament short from one of the 3-500Z.  The low
drive problem mentioned may be a tipoff that the cathode sees a path to
ground and causes a high VSWR for the driver.  There might be some showing
of change in idling current and grid current if such a problem were present.
If the tubes were removed from the amp and heater current applied
individually in a test setup, a Grid-Filament problem might be observed.
Using a Hipot test on G-F during this time may identify the problem.
(2.) If there is a parasitic present, the amp might become erratic on one or
more bands.  Your older tubes might lead one to assume that possible lower
gm due to their age would make the problem less likely. However, it seems
when things are normal they are capable of full output.   It wouldn't hurt
to look closely at the parasitic traps for resistor value change.  I have
found amps with suspected tube problems were actually parasitic in nature.

I hope the amp's meters are diode protected against the big bang theory.
Well, that's two ideas for my two bits worth.
.....Merit  W6NQ