[AMPS] SS750 output -- more tests

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SS750 output -- more tests
From: phil@invest.fsbusiness.co.uk (phil)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 08:42:16 +0100
Vic,

I've been following your trials and tribulations on the Henry amp.

I was considering getting one to add to my mobile HF amp collection.

FWIW the big Skywalker (Lee Martin) amp kits run this device lineup.

I am able to hold a solid 14V on my 2879's and easily bang the end of
the peak reading Bird 1Kw slug hard over with a two tone into the amp.

In fact output is nearer 1200 peak.

Could the amount of negative feedback be limiting your full potential?

Phil  G4ZOW
>I'm still trying to figure out why I can only get about 600 watts output on 14
>MHz from my Henry SS750 amplifier (8 x 2SC2879).
>
>I measured the output into the dummy load with various levels of drive, from 10
>to 100w in 10 w steps.  I found the following relationship:
>
>In     Out
>---    ---
>10     113
>20     216
>30     305
>40     384
>50     427
>60     482
>70     520
>80     540
>90     570
>100    601
>150    687
>
>Obviously, the gain drops as the power increases.  Is this normal?
>
>I did some research, and the 2SC2879 is rated at 13 db gain (minimum) at 28
>MHz.
>with only 12.5v on the collector.  The attenuator that's in the Henry circuit
>on
>14-28 MHz is only 2 db.  That should leave 11 db gain.  Allowing for 2 db of
>loss in the splitter, combiner, and filter, that leaves 9 db, which should
>produce 800 watts with 100 watts drive.  One would expect even more gain with
>13.8v.
>
>Something isn't right...I think.  I am not a solid-state guy  -- help!
>
>73,
>Vic, K2VCO
>Fresno CA
>
>--